New LED lighting for the fish room.

mattrox

A while back I did some LED lighting using the cheap 120cm strips of white LEDs from e-bay.

I was introduced to a new and cheap LED light modules. ($3 per module plus shipping from Canada... and the guy who ordered them was in WA so $8.50 extra to get mine here to S.A.). They cost like $98 all up and I did 4 x 3ft tanks and 2x 6ft tanks. They come in a string 1m long with 10 modules, so I had to cut them to get the spacing right. I spaced them about 30cm apart so that I could use one less module than the tank length in feet (ie 5 modules for a 6ft tank). I started off using crimps to join the wires but soldering was actually quicker. I linked them into my existing 12V 5A power supply as it had heaps of extra capacity.

Here are a few pics.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Testing out a sting of 4 modules over 2 of the 3ft tanks.

IPB Image

IPB Image

A comparison shot of the tanks. Left: the strip lights, Right: New LED modules.

IPB Image

They are a lot brighter and have better colour characteristics than the strip lighting.

Most pleased with the result.

ok now tell me these lights are still available for purchase

look great by the way :)

love to come see this setup one day seeing as your around the corner..

i should post pics of mine up here, all tangs and less tanks but a fish room nethertheless..

Looking really nice -- nice looking units too.

Any one tried these units in blue for moon lighting? Or would it look too much like a disco? :)

-Dkw.

looks awesome , glad all these ideas are popping up just before i build my room

same AdamJ ...

already made notes from Matt's previous thread but these look even better. Cheers Matt. :thumb

Regards, JayT

Just to put things into perspective electricity wise.

1 $30 5A transformer from Jaycar can drive 69 of these units.

That is 23x 4ft tanks lit up. Or 13 6ft tanks (with LEDs left to do a 4 ft or 2x 3fts) This is more than adequate lighting for a fish room. For a display a couple more units per tank would be ample.

Total cost

$3x69 (for 23 tanks)=$207 + shipping. for LEDs ooops sorry for the typo Bwah

$30 for tranformer......

Solder, silicone to seal joints etc ($20) (ps I don't have 23x 4ft tanks just to illustrate what can be done with 1 tranformer, there for one power point)

Total Electricity:

Power 0.864Wx69=58.4W

That is less power than a 4ft tank with double fluoros........

This is a very simple DIY and I have not seen a less expensive or energy efficient way to light up tanks.

$3x69 (for 23 tanks)=$207 + shipping. for LEDs ooops sorry for the typo Bwah

haha thats cool, i thought u might of meant 207 inc postage and was concerned that postage was going to be heaps.. just checked site, seems pretty reasonable so i think ill be ordering some for my 6ft and 4ft tanks

thanks for the heads up on the cheap lighting... again :clap

What I have done will not be suitable for display but if you arrange modules on a 6ft x 16" with 13, 4 over the front lids, 5 down the middle and 4 long the back lids you would have a lot of light.

that could be run off a 1A transformer and would be consuming 11 W of power.

not for display tank, just fish room tanks.. currently dont have any lights on tanks as they are in sun room, but now its winter by the time i get home its nearly dark in there and i hate waking up the fish to feed/look at them

just ordered 12 for $40 inc postage.. gotta love the strength of the AU$ :)

Hey guys,

By not being suitable for display do you mean the light quality or the amount of light you are producing is not suitable?

What I currently have is a 4ft tube above the tank because I like the light falloff to the sides so I'm looking for a way to recreate this with LEDs, for a few reasons, space under my hood would be greater, the electricity bill, the colour (hopefully) and I'm looking for that shimmer effect.

Matt

A while back I did some LED lighting using the cheap 120cm strips of white LEDs from e-bay.

I was introduced to a new and cheap LED light modules. ($3 per module plus shipping from Canada... and the guy who ordered them was in WA so $8.50 extra to get mine here to S.A.). They cost like $98 all up and I did 4 x 3ft tanks and 2x 6ft tanks. They come in a string 1m long with 10 modules, so I had to cut them to get the spacing right. I spaced them about 30cm apart so that I could use one less module than the tank length in feet (ie 5 modules for a 6ft tank). I started off using crimps to join the wires but soldering was actually quicker. I linked them into my existing 12V 5A power supply as it had heaps of extra capacity.

Here are a few pics.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Testing out a sting of 4 modules over 2 of the 3ft tanks.

IPB Image

IPB Image

A comparison shot of the tanks. Left: the strip lights, Right: New LED modules.

IPB Image

They are a lot brighter and have better colour characteristics than the strip lighting.

Most pleased with the result.

ive had my leds running off solar panels for about a year, they work great... i bought them from jacar electronics and they are water proof apparently!

• 3 weeks later...

1 $30 5A transformer from Jaycar can drive 69 of these units....

How do you work out the transformer size (by voltage/amp) to drive the leds? Are your running the leds in series?

Do you need an led driver?

Thanks.

1 $30 5A transformer from Jaycar can drive 69 of these units....

How do you work out the transformer size (by voltage/amp) to drive the leds? Are your running the leds in series?

Do you need an led driver?

Thanks.

The led modules are rated 12v so the 12v DC is a must. I chose 5A for the capacity to drive lots of LEDs. The units can only draw so much current, 72mA to be exact, so you chose the amperage you require. I didn't do anything special with regards to drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

finally got around to setting up some myself..

IPB Image

heres the standard 3' phillips 30w fluro

IPB Image

heres the 9 led modules

IPB Image

and the two combined

IPB Image

verdict

well obviously the led's are not as bright as the fluro, but at a fraction of the power use they are great!

not quite sure what these 9 are using (mattrox?)

they also have a whiter spectrum and bright out blues really well

Archived