Big Red

the cichlid kid

i think the reason is irresponsible idiots putting fry down the drain, hence the colony in the hawkesbury river, these fish can live quite happily in cool water, the resposible aquarist (me!! wub.gif ) recycles their excess fry through their fronnies and venustas tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

i thoght they were eyeing each other off across the room! the funny thing is that when i take the fry out the male(dozer) blames the female and trys to give her a fearful bashing i know whats going to happen so i intervene with the eggcrate, things are back to normal in 24 hrs!! LOL.gif

Another talked about (but rarely seen) colony in sydney is at bents basin out at greendale/camden.

Ive been fishing there but havent caught a thing, not even one of the many bass that are supposed to be there!!!

this was told to me by a bloke at lams(not the cichlid man the other bloke) i know a while back this dude caught a 40kg european carp under windsor bridge, 1 1/2 metres long and estimates put his age at near 100 and nobody knew he was there so a few red devils wouldnt be found LOL.gif

wow!! umm there was this other post i was reading in one of these forums a while ago abt some ones younger brother catchung a 12inch hammer head shark

anybody else recall tht post, im quite sure it was in tank busters

also this sunday i m planning on going fishing (not for cichlids) but yeah any body know anby good palces close by im near cabramatta

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I realise that this is going to look stupid, being a newcomer to these forums, and having to evidence to back me up, but thats not a RD. I was reading a huge book on cichlids at the lfs the other day, and i came across one of these fellas. I cant recall the name, but it did state that they are frequently mistaken for RD's. Next time i go back ill find out its name.

Vassili

if you are going to say it's a Midas Vasili?

What we have in Australia is said to be a hybrid of Amphilophus citrinellus (Midas) and Amphilophus labiatus (true Red Devil), as when they were brought in originally no-one differentiated between the two & cross bred them unknowingly.

At least that's what I've been led to believe.

if you are going to say it's a Midas Vasili?

What we have in Australia is said to be a hybrid of Amphilophus citrinellus (Midas) and Amphilophus labiatus (true Red Devil), as when they were brought in originally no-one differentiated between the two & cross bred them unknowingly.

At least that's what I've been led to believe.

thats pretty much what most people are led to believe, myself included!!

Shame though, id really like a few pure breed Big reds!!

Archived