Cyphotilapia frontosa 'aussie'

slinky

6 Bar Frontosa have always been sold in Australia as the Burundi variant. This come about from top line breeders who were pumping out the fry. So what you are suggesting is that most of the renown breeders on the forum past and present have lied to people about the location varient, fully knowing that they are crossed.

i sure that top line breeders are not lying about the locality of the burundi that they breed, but there are also many other breeders who know nothing about fronts, but just know tham as either 6bar or 7bar.

and burundis didnt have to come from top line breeders they could come from a anyone really, if the have the patience and the time, that is. thumb.gifthumb.gif

slinky

As i said you must be able to prove your theroy. I am still yet to see this.

your pretty persistent about me proving it hay.

but the truth is, i wouldnt know for sure, but just what i have observed first hand and read in older post and this current thread, i would say that the burundis in australia cant be guranteed 100% burundi. there still nice fish though (no doubt about that). its just that i dont want the endanger any pure stock of burundis that could be in australia. thumb.gifthumb.gif

slinky

i would say that now with the fish bred here its almost impossible to state what variant they are , imho burundi is a term used to bung on an extra 10 bucks, and i think whats happening in our tanks is the same as whats happening in the lake, that is they are still evolving,possibly a bit slower in the lake but fish by their very nature swim and there must be areas where geographical variants overlap. imo we should strive to breed from the best and biggest stock "aussie strain" if you like and not ending up with pathetic "pedigree" frontosa some of which ive seen at lfs's which id be ashamed to own, tiny with split bars and faded grey on white colouring.

this is not really a bad thing, we can strengthen our 'aussie strain',

eg-contrasting stripes

-large long fins

-big hump

-nice deep blues

-deep bodied

we just need some people to selectively breed our 6bars, perhaps one day people from different countries might want a peice of the 'aussie frontosa', known for its hardiness, and the qualities listed above. thumb.gifthumb.gif

lol.....lets not get into the redrevil debate PGR...lol or the Sevrums...or the Serinamensis....or the Hemichromus........we could be here a while.

Anthony laugh.gif

Hi Guys,

Im just a little curious about these crossbreed fish:

All varients are called Cyphotilapia frontosa. (Fact)

All Varients are collected from Lake Tangyanika. (Fact)

What we are talking about is cross variation in these fish.

Now as I stated before there are some fish of this varient in the lake with 6 bars on one side and seven on the other.

Also another problem is the broken bars on the fish also in the lake.

Now my understanding is a crossbreed fish is say a Psuedotropheus zebra X demasoni.

Same with alot of other genus crosses out there.

Me personally I place these fish in the catagory of discus (Symphysodon aequifasciata or Angle fish (Pterophyllum scalare)

Now there is a gold fin Frontosa on the wholesale list when is it going to stop.

People that buy these type of fish should be careful where they obtain them from.

Im not a frontosa fan but it is abit sad to see people doing the wrong thing. I would want to have the best bloodlines in all my species and not mix them with any other frontosa. We will only obtain this if people educate others on the keeping of various species and not to mix diffrent bloodlines when the new stock arrives with the old stock unless you are 150 % certain of location ect ect.

Thats my thought

HTH

Brett

Now there is a gold fin Frontosa on the wholesale list when is it going to stop.

People that buy these type of fish should be careful where they obtain them from.

Im not a frontosa fan but it is abit sad to see people doing the wrong thing. I would want to have the best bloodlines in all my species and not mix them with any other frontosa. We will only obtain this if people educate others on the keeping of various species and not to mix diffrent bloodlines when the new stock arrives with the old stock unless you are 150 % certain of location ect ect.

Thats my thought

HTH

Brett

finally someone gets me. thumb.gifthumb.gif

slinky

Slinky,

What brett is stating apllies to cichlid keeping in general. Its not specific to frontosa. The new bloodlines (If they get hear) will get bred back to the old lines. It might not happen straight away but it will happen. Unless you are lucky to get some of the imported fish then you will never know what you get. Give it two or three years and every fish being sold will be from imported parents and if the fish look right, then who could argue?

Archived