Ok who loves frontosa?

ViS

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gracefully boring not.

You cant help liking frontosa when you get a tug of war like these shots . The C afra cobwe stirs the 7 bar, no scales flying yet

http://au.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/neigau/de...d&.dnm=4d75.jpg

http://au.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/neigau/de...d&.dnm=b097.jpg

Have actually seen the cobwe inside the frontys mouth so the cobwe's eyes weren't visible

Neil

That afra is either rather stupid or just damm hard core, knowing that you could be inhaled any moment, would be rather scary... they were a good giggle, and i may start to like fronies, more.....but for blue striped tangs i still like the trets. bigsmile.gif

But nice pics, I think i would enjoy a fronny tank if it was huge so the lil guys could cruise abouts like they should be able to, it is way too often that you see fronnnies in a tank that is too small, and the are kinda sucked in and their heads look too big for their bodies, i think due to a lack of exercise. but nice pics of cool fish.

Great pics. Neil...a very good looking frontie too clap.gif Chalk me up as a frontie lover...graceful is a great description. It is true that they are not as "busy" as other species, however I find that they are not totally inactive either.

Andrea smile.gif

I think before everyone gets to excited about these 6 species they still are not on the import list. There is no guarantee that we will be allowered to import them after the 30th September.

They still have to be approved by Biosecurity Australia. The reason for this is BA has to access them in terms of disease threat and management. I have been told by AQIS that they cant give a time frame on this.

I think before everyone gets to excited about these 6 species they still are not on the import list. There is no guarantee that we will be allowered to import them after the 30th September.

They still have to be approved by Biosecurity Australia. The reason for this is BA has to access them in terms of disease threat and management. I have been told by AQIS that they cant give a time frame on this.

Nigel,

This is a done deal. As of 30th September 2005 the 6 aforementioned species will have unrestricted (expect for size limits as allready mentioned) entry into Australia.

AQIS are simply charged, in our industries case with enforcing the EPBC live import list. AQIS to not have the power to alter or amend this list. The Dept of Environment and Heritage are the organisation that can make reccomendations and changes, they have allready conducted a full impact assesment that included any potential disease problems. The decision has been made and the amendment to the list has been signed off by the Minister for the Environment Sen Ian Campbell. The minister would not sign off on the species if there were still assesments or reviews that needed undertaking.

Biosecurity Australia in consultation with AQIS will monitor the species as they do with any new species but unless they discover that they species carry a new never before seen disease that will wipe out aquaculture or similar they are simply interested in identification issues and seeing if there are any specific quarintine procedure need to be put in place for these species.

Don't worry everyone Nigel is just trying to give everyone some heart flutters.

@nthony

PIAA Ornamental Fish Representive

lil swimmer

as i posted earlier here, as i had the same question, but beleive the reason there is a size limit on the fronnies be because at that size 12cm, they are starting to get that distinguishing hump, and easier to identify. So that we dont start having things like Plecodus straeleni arriving on our shores. Also not sure if they are legal or not but maybe it is so they can be clearly identified from Sexies, and trets aswell.

Is it possible the people who requested their addition to the list wanted them bigger so that local stocks would retain much more of their value?

If we could import 3cm 6 bars from Asia the market on local stock would disappear overnight, but by only importing larger stock, people still have to pay for their new additions.

Just wondering?

Anthony while thats true the Minister has added them to the import list they still have to be approved by Biosecurity Australia. We where informed in righting by AQIS that because BA also needs to approve these and this will take some time that there is no guarantee that they will be on the import list from the 30th September. We where also informed by AQIS that one of the six species was going to be sent back to Heritage and Enviroment thats Glossolepis incisus because there was not sufficient disease threat managment done on it. As AQIS contol the import and inspection prosses they have to final say.

As we hold an import permit we are informed in righting about any changes to import conditions. So like I said thats the latest information I have. I recieved this information on 22nd April.

forgive me if im wrong but wouldn't the fronties coming in from lake be harder to breed cause of the lot tougher quality control on the water.they'd be a bit different to tank strains that we are used to?wouldn't that mean they keep their value?

regards

chris

Archived