Importing from Lake Malawi (maybe)

Nigel

Nigel,

I'd be up for a trio of baenschi nkhomo reef, trio of lwanda, and a trio of chitande type north.

I also think you'd sell a lot better if you were prepared to send the fish interstate.

Cheers,

j.s

J.S Be careful there is more than one variant of chitende type north.I have two variants myself

Regards

Aussie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quite like the look of the Mbamba bay.

I think the koningsi is the new name for the mbenji?

As ducksta said, it's all very well getting peacocks, but unfortunately there only seems to be a handful of enthusiasts that are willing to fork out good money to get in new or wildcaught bloodlines. Everyone else just sits back and waits for the ineviteable surge of fry from those new bloodlines and expects to get them for a few dollars each.

If I was going to order several hundred dollars worth of peacocks, I'd want to be sure I'd be the only person or one of a couple to get that new species and not see it come in another big batch through the same channels a few months down the track.

Maybe zebras will make the list one day *drool* bigsmile.gif

THEN you might as well just keep my credit card Nigel LOL.gif

thumbup.gif Nigel I might be interested in Copadochromis- Mloto or Borleyi (or others) and Cyrtocara moorii (10cm+) If i can afford them?? Before you lock me in could you please give me some rough price expectancies by PM. So you don't get stuck with too many fish. Cheers Couchy wink2.gif

Pseudotropheus cyaneus  (Chinyamwezi island)

Pseudotropheus sp zebra long pelvic  (Mdoka)

Copadichromis  borleyi  (Mara Rocks)

Copadichromis mbenjii  (Mbenjii Island)

Copadichromis virginalis  ( Gome )

Copadichromis virginalis gold  ( Nkanda)

Better wipe my chin now as I am starting to drool  cryblow.gif I don't think you are wasting your time Nigel , just try and get as much variety of species as you can in smaller numbers . I know that is probally easy said than done  toohard.gif

Hmmm, I'm starting to drool also. How awesome would it be to get a hold of any of those Copadichromis you've listed!

Mate, I am still using hueseri fry as feeders blink.gif

!!!!!! YOU WHAT ??!!!!!!

I mean really, A. hueseri as feeders?!! I know Aulonocara are good breeders but that's amazing!!! blink.gif

Sometimes I wish there was the abundance and variety of peacocks up here as there is in Sydney.

GTR, I don't so much use them as feeders as the females get left to spit in their tank where many adult fish get fat. Alot still survive though. Shoot me a PM, I will be shipping again early-mid May. If you really want a bag of F1 peacocks, I can pack it with another shipment I am sure.

I wish there wasn't such a restriction on Malawi cichlids, you can hardly bring in anything apart from peacocks and peacocks are not the most popular cichlids generally.

By the way does Stuart deal with Tanganyikans as well?

Roland

Maybe Tang enthusiasts are more dedicated to getting stuff added to the list, so put in the effort to submit the applications?

I had a chat to Anthony and he told me that as far as the Government are concerned Malawi cichlids are considered more 'risky' than tangs because unlike Lake Tang with its extremes in PH, Malawi cichlids are more likely to adapt to Australian waterways.

Apparently the aggressive nature of many mbuna, and their often over the top defence of rocky territories makes the scientists who'd have to sign off on a species cringe. No one is too keen to be responsible for the aquatic counterpart of the next cane toad or rabbit.

Dont worry though, Anthony assured me that there are definately some Malawi cichlids in the line up for the push to be added to the import list. If people want them that bag, petition the Government smile.gif

The truth is that anyone can submit a species for addition to the import list. I don't think anyone has tried to get Lake Malawi species added well not for a long time anyway. So if you can get them added or not the only way to find out is make a submission. The last one to go on the import list was Chilotilapia rhoadesii (length 5cm or over) in 1998 as far as I know.

Does anyone have a copy of a previous application that was used to successfully get a species added to the list?

I'm keen to give it a go, but would like to see what has proven successful in the past.

Does it still cost $10K per species? I think that rules out the 'anyone' factor and really only applies to organisations who stand to make alot of money from the imports, or people/groups who are backed by those organisations.

Adam for you not very much. So when I do the order if Stuart has any I will get them for you thats a promise.

Andy there was a submission made by someone on this forum. It was for the Frontosa so my advise is ask David (YeW) he should be able to help you.

I probably have no hope but i would like to see the following wild caught fish in my tanks:

Lichnochromis acuticeps

Mylochromis anaphyrmus

Mylochromis gracilis

Copadichromis sp. "Kawanga"

Metriaclima livingstonii

and Labidochromis textilis

Oh and Nigel i will have 10 of each! thumbup.gif

Thanks champ bigsmile.gif

G'day Nigel

I might be interested in some Pseudotropheus saulosi.

(Depending on the usual things...)

Would love to see some really good ones!

Nigel,

Have you got any idea when this shipment would be taking place? Also as others have said listing what is available and taking deposits on orders would go some way to avoid you ending up with too many fish on your hands.

Archived