Filling tank with Sand.

Burek

I have sand about 2 1/2 - 3 inches in the bottom of my Foai tank. When i disturb the sand some gas bubbles rise to the top. These bubbles don't stink. Do i have to worry? I run a stick through it asClarkey said every fortnight or so. Considering i have to have sand and a lot of it for my foai what would be best for my situation?

Anthony, foai are amazing little creatures. They must remove the waste from the sand as they sift it and move it into position. As we know, the sand around a foai nest can get up to 6 inches high. I've had nests that size stay put for months and months and they never had a gas or waste buildup.

They are an exception to the rule though. Most haps and mbuna only sift the top cm or so of the sand layer. Fish like some tankbusters, featherfins, sandsifters and eartheaters all sift down several centimetres, so they turn over the whole substrate layer.

If you keep any of the renowned "sifters / movers", then a deeper sand bed is ok, but for a majority of fish, less than 2cm is better.

In your situation, just do what I did: Let them get comfortable for a few months and then when they haven't spawned in a while, flatten the sand bed so he needs to build a new nest. This will stir up the sand and promote spawning. bigsmile.gif

Not a problem Andy, mine have only within the last month or 2 started to build really big pits, and consequently they have spawned a couple of times. The last lot of pits were there for about a month then they stopped for some reason for a couple of weeks. They have now started building them again. Next time they lose interest ill try flattening the pit and see what happens. Thanks mate.

Anthony

Archived