Fish ID Please!

ViS

I doubt they LFS would have sold it as an estherae if they could have advertised it as a linebred yellow for more money though surely?

You'd think that whoever owned it (if indeed it is a linebred yellow) would know that for sure?

I'm not convinced it's a linebred yellow at all (particularly since we still haven't seen photos of one from those who supposedly have them in their tanks rolleyes.gif ).

That has been suggested already and this is what andy said. I am still leaning towards lombardoi x Yellow.

Anthony

Ged,

The barlowi has a very different body shape (more of a "tropheops" chunkiness about it) and is distinctly blue in the dorsal. I would bet my shorts as well that it is not a barlowi as I also had them for about 2 years. The fish in the pic is Lab. shaped, slender and I still think estherae x yellow.

Andrea smile.gif

EDIT: by estherae I should clarify that I mean "puulu point". They have the same markings as the fish in Andy's pic (if you look closely).

http://www.geocities.com/cichlids_au/Mvc-675f.jpg

http://www.edas.com.au/Gallery-African-Red-Zeb-fem.jpg

Hi all,

My first reaction when looking at that picture was:

Puulu Pt Zebra (or similar) X Electric Yellow.

I can't say for sure what species are involved, but it's fairly certainly a hybrid. It has the classic Labidochromis mouth, too few egg spots to be M. estherae, typical Zebra finnage, but with what looks like the remnant of the Electric Yellow's black stripe in the anal fin. The luminescent body colouration is indicative of a zebra (particularly a line-bred Puulu Pt), but the actual hue/colour of it is that of a Lion Cove Lab. caeruleus.

Nice looking fish, but I think there may have been a Mbuna in the woodpile... Or perhaps the milkman stayed a few minutes longer on the day of their conception... LOL.gifLOL.gifLOL.gif

Cheers,

Andrew.

Archived