water chemistry

MikeWs Fish

Hi Mike,

mS refers to micro seimens...it is a unit of measure. Used when determining the conductivity/TDS (total dissolved solids/salts) of a solution. EC is measured in units of micro-siemens per centimetre (µS/cm).

Andrea smile.gif

Hi MikeW, micro Seimens refers to the amount of current that will pass through the water. (conductivity) The more ions in the water the higher the current/ conductivity.

If the principle ions are magnesium and calcium, then there is a close correlation between conductivity (microSiemens) and general hardness. However, water that contains a high proportion of other ions eg. sodium chloride (salt) will have an increased conductivity compared to its "hardness".

Conductivity, measured in microSiemens, reflects the concentratin of ions in solution, not just the calcium and magnesium ions that contribute to hardness.

Cheers

Brett

Just to throw a spanner in the works (as I seem to be prone to do) blush.gif . Doesn't ms, as a measure of conductivity, need a calibration temperature to be of any use at all as a measure of salinity (which is what I have seen it used for in the past) or hardness? Could the values quoted above be for ms at STP? smile.gif

-worm-

(sorry, I always seem to come into the end of a discussion and bugger all the answers up. Not trying to be contentious, just looking for answers smile.gif )

Archived