Fluval 405

JLL

I recently got sold an Eheim ecco and have discovered it is no good for my cichlid tank as evidenced by its lack of adequate filtration and a couple of deaths due to poor water conditions. Unfortunately I wasted my money on it and have since found out that the guy at the lfs led me quite astray, ah well, more fool me.

Anyhow I was going to buy a Fluval 405 and just after general opinions about noise, reliability etc.

Cheers

John

Im running a 404 and 405 side by side on one of my 55gals.

I like the 405 - while it's only a minor upgrade from the 404, I have noticed that everything seems to fit better and it just seems to do a better job. There seems to be less bypass and the sponges collect more debris than the 404.

It's quiet and has been reliable (*touches wood*) so far.

Cheers

Steve

From personal experience I can only say good things about the fluval range. I am currently running 204's, 304's and 404's and have found them to be very effective filters, quiet, reliable and easy to clean. My oldest filter is 2.5 yeas old and hasn't skipped a beat.

The media they come supplied with is a bit light on, I would look at adding coral rubble or something from the Eheim range to increase its biological filtering capacities.

Good luck thumb.gif and always take lfs advice with a grain or two of salt, unless you know and trust them wink2.gif

Cheers guys, i will go with the 405 and see how it goes.

thankfully Eheim supply a truckload of media so i have plenty.

Chrisso, I did trust the (reputable?) lfs but have since found out that most people there dont seem to know much at all. Funny thing is that I feel more confident with the advice of strangers given here!

Thanks again

John

Archived