Tank racks that won't rust

AlexJordan

Has anyone had racks made up out of stainless steel or some other material that won't rust in a salty environment? I need to get some racks made up and would appreciate some suggestions of who is best to deal with for this sort of thing.

Cheers,

Alex

hi Alex

get a quote on stainless steel, then to have someone weld it together. i'm sure you'll change your mind.

or did the big red ball fall at your house? :clap

if you have them made up from non galvanised rhs then have them powder coated.

done this way they will last for many years

Well no, not the big red ball, but it is university funded! The racks have to sit above a massive indoor marine aquarium (and I mean massive ~ 25m x 10m x 7m) that is heated to 25 C, so the humidity is out of this world - do you think powder coated steel will handle these conditions?

Hi Alex

Under those conditions - there is NO WAY rhs powder coated will last. :no::no:

The only material that will stand up to that environment is stainless steel - and the only grade of stainless steel to tolerate those conditions............. is 316 - marine grade.

And.....................it will cost a bomb. :yes::yes:

Well no, not the big red ball, but it is university funded! The racks have to sit above a massive indoor marine aquarium (and I mean massive ~ 25m x 10m x 7m) that is heated to 25 C, so the humidity is out of this world -

if the uni can get a grant for the tank, i 'spose funding for these "racks" is just small change

316 [marine] grade is the only material that will stand a chance, but the welded areas will need special attention. this structure will end up having salt 'iceicles" hanging from it :lol3:

here's me thinking you were going to have flash racks in your fish room :B

Archived