Cracked Base

gino123456

Hi guys as the title states my sump has a cracked base :angry: , now i was wondering which is the best way of fixing it.

Is it better to pull the piece out or get a new piece and glue it to the bottom? :confused:

any help would be appricieated

Oh bad luck mate,

Does the crack run the length of the tank? or just a corner?

I have heard that if it does run the length of the tank you are better off getting a new tank. Surely it can be fixed though?

How did it happen?

Cheers

Joel

The easiest way to repair it would be to put a whole new piece of glass under the sump and silicon it to the cracked one.

And there is no need to silicone the top of the crack inside the tank once u have siliconed a piece to the base ?

Run a bead of aquarium safe silicone around the the perimeter of the glass and several lines across the length of the patch. You can run a bead on the inside but I haven't found that necessary. You will need to wait 72 hours for the silicone to cure and reach maximum strength before using the sump.

How bad is the crack?

Run a bead of aquarium safe silicone around the the perimeter of the glass and several lines across the length of the patch. You can run a bead on the inside but I haven't found that necessary. You will need to wait 72 hours for the silicone to cure and reach maximum strength before using the sump.

How bad is the crack?

Its all the way across the base

Archived