Demasoni

gino123456

Hi gus i have a colony of theses guys which are in a 3ft tank breeding like no 2morrow, now the problem that i have is that they are killing each other slowly.

I started with 10 now im down to 7 as they slowly attack and kill each other.

Now they have hidding spots as i have pipes in there for them to hide in but i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what i can do to save them. :confused:

I reckon larger colonies are the go.

I had 30 and awoke to a dead fish each day till I was down to about 22, at which point there was alot of chasing etc but no further deaths. I kept telling myself to chill as it was only excess males being killed

(no its probably not true but it helped me cope lol). They are deffinately the most aggresive species I have ever dealt with.

I had similar experiences with a small colony of 15 which dropped to 7. Now my colony is made up of 28 fish and no deaths. Got at least 8 males in the colony

But I reckon these guys are really susceptible to bloat too, so if you get a sick fish, it will get picked on by the others. Something else to watch out for

I used to keep 10-12 in a 4 foot tank with no problems with aggression. Fish breed happy for a year or so before I sold them.

Josh

I used to keep 10-12 in a 4 foot tank with no problems with aggression. Fish breed happy for a year or so before I sold them.

Josh

So i take it adding to the colony would be the go to save them from killing each other

I had 30 in a standard 6 footer and produced thousands of fry with no deaths. Key is the number and the size of the tank. I recon 3 footers are too small for them.

I had a dozen in a 2'x18"x18" breeding happily (only three males as I had removed the excess ones as juveniles)

The tank was rocked up to the surface level as I had been warned about their aggression but the only casualty or even close casualty I ever had was in a bag of fry I took up to Sydney last month.

They definately are antosocial little buggers though... checking the tank at night was quite funny; each and every fish would squirrel themselves away into a little cranny so they didn't have to share space with anyone else.

Archived