Current Cheapest Aquarium and best buys

intern1

The its up to the breeders to update what they have, the Mods dont have time to do it. It would be easier to put a WTB in the classifieds to find fish as most people who use the breeders register seem to think its there to advertise what fish they are keeping not just what they are breeding.

Josh

I completely understand that the Mods don't have time to manage or update or control the Breeders Register.

However as a new-to-ACE-member I find the Register is chaotic, unordered almost to the point of it being useless.

As someone else already said, the main problem is there is no way to easily and quickly sort who/how/what is there and more importantly sort out what is current and up-to-date. There are many posts from years ago which are not relevant, mixed in with those breeders who keep their info updated.

If posts have been edited there is no way to sort what is up-to-date, and a search for a specific fish/species is equally likely to show up on someone who has not posted here in the last 3 years and probably does not keep those fish anymore.

Please don't take this as an 'attack' on ACE, just pointing out something that IMHO needs improvement.

However, at the same time I'm not sure what can really be done. One simple thing would be to make it mandatory for breeders to put an 'updated on' post each time they update their lists, at least that way the forum could easily be sorted into what is current and what is not.

I just like to add a fair few words & add my over 20+yrs in the hobby. I'm not knocking anyone, just talking facts. For starters some ?'s we should think about, like, if it wasn't for LFS, where would the hobby be today? Where did you buy your 1st fish from? etc...

I myself have seen the best of breeders go into an lfs to pick up fish. With knowledge comes awarness, with awarness comes knowledge, you learn from your mistakes as others do. I buy, where ever I feel fit, wether online or in the shops. You are, working, earning a living just like the people that try to make a living in retail. If something is not what you like you wouldn't buy it.

Reality is IMOO, that with the big giants behind the real problem regarding price hikes aswell as greed or big margine profits, some retailers have no choice but only too bolster prices.

So take a thought on those lines & come back to reality & 1 including myself should not always think of themselves, & take a moment & think of others. Help others as You, Yourself, would like too be helped. Life is for living for all, as we are all equal in 1 sense or another.

I just wanted to get this of my chest after reading through this thread. Sorry in advance for anyone whom may have offence. I'm not an owner or have affiliation with any lfs. I'm just another practicing hobbyist who prizes quality of life in the one hand & reality in the other.

Regards

Ahmed ;)

I just like to add a fair few words & add my over 20+yrs in the hobby. I'm not knocking anyone, just talking facts. For starters some ?'s we should think about, like, if it wasn't for LFS, where would the hobby be today? Where did you buy your 1st fish from? etc...

I myself have seen the best of breeders go into an lfs to pick up fish. With knowledge comes awarness, with awarness comes knowledge, you learn from your mistakes as others do. I buy, where ever I feel fit, wether online or in the shops. You are, working, earning a living just like the people that try to make a living in retail. If something is not what you like you wouldn't buy it.

Reality is IMOO, that with the big giants behind the real problem regarding price hikes aswell as greed or big margine profits, some retailers have no choice but only too bolster prices.

So take a thought on those lines & come back to reality & 1 including myself should not always think of themselves, & take a moment & think of others. Help others as You, Yourself, would like too be helped. Life is for living for all, as we are all equal in 1 sense or another.

I just wanted to get this of my chest after reading through this thread. Sorry in advance for anyone whom may have offence. I'm not an owner or have affiliation with any lfs. I'm just another practicing hobbyist who prizes quality of life in the one hand & reality in the other.

Regards

Ahmed ;)

Well said mate.

mate anyone on this forum will tell you to steer clear of LFS! they are horrible over priced places that sell under fed, under nourished skinny as s disease infested fish. buy private.

Welcome to ace.

Bit rough comment there mate, my preferred lfs is a single man owned and run establishment, his prices are better than some I have seen on the forums and his fish are better quality too than some I have bought here and elsewhere online. Not only that he buys off local breeders and pays what he pays the wholesalers.

I guess that he has only been keeping and breeding everything from discus to tangs since 1974 and refuses to sell anything that does not meet his high standards means that he does not make your muster in the lfs category.

Rather than put a relative newbie off going to lfs (the place where many of us first developed our love of fish keeping) recommend some that are worthwhile.

For the record, I also have an idea with 23 years of keeping experience.

John, if you are ever heading up the central coast drop me a pm and I will show you a couple of pearlers around my way.

No offence dude, but living on the central coast is a big difference to living in the city. My local LFS has excellent customer service, the owner had great knowledge of fish/ species and they have and excellent range of stock. But all their fish is over priced, probab;y due to the fact most of their fish have waste or are dead and stuck in their filters. An as for my experience this seems to be the norm. Im sure your lfs in the middle of the coast are great, like the shop next door. unfortunatly its not like that in the city.

Your location is Kearns NSW. Thats almost as far as the central coast is from the city. :lol3::zipit:

mate anyone on this forum will tell you to steer clear of LFS! they are horrible over priced places that sell under fed, under nourished skinny as s disease infested fish. buy private.

Welcome to ace.

Bit rough comment there mate, my preferred lfs is a single man owned and run establishment, his prices are better than some I have seen on the forums and his fish are better quality too than some I have bought here and elsewhere online. Not only that he buys off local breeders and pays what he pays the wholesalers.

I guess that he has only been keeping and breeding everything from discus to tangs since 1974 and refuses to sell anything that does not meet his high standards means that he does not make your muster in the lfs category.

Rather than put a relative newbie off going to lfs (the place where many of us first developed our love of fish keeping) recommend some that are worthwhile.

For the record, I also have an idea with 23 years of keeping experience.

John, if you are ever heading up the central coast drop me a pm and I will show you a couple of pearlers around my way.

No offence dude, but living on the central coast is a big difference to living in the city. My local LFS has excellent customer service, the owner had great knowledge of fish/ species and they have and excellent range of stock. But all their fish is over priced, probab;y due to the fact most of their fish have waste or are dead and stuck in their filters. An as for my experience this seems to be the norm. Im sure your lfs in the middle of the coast are great, like the shop next door. unfortunatly its not like that in the city.

Your location is Kearns NSW. Thats almost as far as the central coast is from the city. :lol3::zipit:

Im half an hour from the city, maybe you should get out more champ. :zipit:

I enjoy buying from breeders who have more control over their fish and the environment that those fish live in. Breeders are generally in to fish due to a passion for them. LFS whether by desire or not are forced to satisfy an economic imperative of financial survival and need to sell what is available.

You can get very nice fish at a LFS but I think the true benefit of the LFS is not the fish you can buy there, but the number of us that exist as Fishaholics after our first purchase at a LFS. The LFS exists as a doorway for many of us to enter the land of our passion.

Rob

Archived