The Big Tank

CThompson

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to good with computers.. the bottom pic is from kala. looked close to yours. the pic is by Ad konnigs. ads picture of the nkamba bay has alot more white than your link to pic. If anything I might be helping you rule other localities out

Is that natural light coming into your tank ? did you make an opening on your roof or something ? that's some sweet lighting and algae can grow nicely on the rocks.

I turned on the MH lighting for the shots as I thought the light from them would highlight through the Easy-Life smoke.

Brilliant shots of the leptos!

I mighta missed it, but what is the easy life smoke you are referring to? I can see the effect in the photos, but what is 'easylife' and why does it smoke :)

To quote from the bottle, "conditioner- tonic- prophylactic", and as to why it smokes - just a euphemism. When used the tank goes cloudy for a bit (the smoke) and clears a bit later, about an hour or so with the big tank.

"After addition it makes the water turbid because the contents become active. When more contaminants are present, this cloudiness lasts longer. In freshwater aquariums it lasts 4-16 hrs (to 48-72 hrs), in marine tanks 2-4 hrs (to 5-8 days). Subsequently, the water becomes crystal clear."

I guess for it to last only an hour or so in my tank means my water is good.

"Easy-Life FFM accomplishes more than 30 powerful effects. The water quality is improved immensely and protected against sudden alterations. Fish become more agile, eat more and show brighter colours. The animals get stronger physical resistance and become less prone to diseases....

....prevents bacterial infections. Additionally it lowers the mortality rate of (very sensitive) fish and lower animals considerably also at long-distance transports and quarantine."

I use it occasionally and thought it might make some interesting photos.

Craig

Life through a porthole.

Difficult to photograph due to the different lighting on the wall around the porthole, and inside the tank. I played around with the hall light and different lights from nearby rooms, tried to dodge reflections of me (standing front on) or of things opposite the porthole if I got myself out of the way.

When I set the rock work inside the tank I tried to give a different view of the tank and rocks through each different porthole. Consequently one porthole has no rock work visible, one has a lot but doesn't block the view and the third porthole in the middle is in between.

The first porthole where no rock work is, if you stand up to the opening, in a short space of time the fish, particularly the Tropeheus, come up and put their face to the glass and stare back. They are not after food as they are not fed from here. They come for a look at the human - as anthropomorphic as that may be, they do it all the time and it's the only spin I can put to it.

Why did I do portholes? This tank is in the middle of my home, and can be circumnavigated. I considered having it completely open front and back, but another tank of similar dimensions I have seen set up like this, also 2 foot wide, looked more like 6 inches wide because the water was so clean. From this I understood fish tank depth as we see it is linked into the tank having a back. Never the less I wanted to take advantage of the fact I could see through both sides of the tank, but didn't want the whole back of the tank open and I had the epiphany of a "porthole" like view. It just took weeks to sort out how I was to do it.

Porthole One;

IPB Image

IPB Image

Porthole Two (middle);

IPB Image

Porthole Three;

IPB Image

great porthole shots :thumb

would it be possible to get a sump shot and list filtration media ?

im setting up a sump for my 6x2x2,

you must have something good going on

under there to keep all that water clean and clear,

all your fish look happy and healthy too :clap

There's another thread on this Photography forum with all these details. There is indeed a very detailed filtration, home made system on the tank that keeps it clean with easy maintenance. Please find this thread and ask further questions if you wish.

Craig

Nice porthole shot looks like im viewing from a submarine :lol2: .... :clap

You are always very supportive Fongyfong, thanks for the great feedback.

I find it looks more like viewing an underwater scene from one of those submerged viewing tourist

facilities.

Craig

I found some of the original shots for you jeppry'

Lighting , tilted upward for the shot;

IPB Image

The trickle draw filter in situ; You can see the over flow box on top, with the mechanical draws in the TDF beneath it

IPB Image

the bio ball chamber can be seen underneath in the above photo, and more clearly below

IPB Image

This leads to the sump

IPB Image

The next shot is also an old one, now it doesn't look so neat and tidy, I need to replace the UPS, but the pump and denitrate filter are still there.

IPB Image

This is a shot of the TDF before installation, which will give a better understanding of what it is.

IPB Image

Thanks for the follow up info/pics craig,

very interesting filtration system.

did you make the TDF yourself?

what material is it? and what glue was used?

have you had any problems with your pumps being plumbed inline, leaks/excesive vibration?

what brand of pump?

deffinatly a verywell thoughtout system, awesome :clap

cheers Brett

the effect of a laser pointer in a tank never ceases to amaze

as it will turn the most passive fish into a hunting pack

point it into a tank of tetra's a see what happens :p

like the draw set up Craig as bwah asked did you make it

yourself and what thickness acrylic is it

getting closer to me setting up a tank or two again :blink

Chris

the effect of a laser pointer in a tank never ceases to amaze

as it will turn the most passive fish into a hunting pack point it into a tank of

tetra's a see what happens :p

Should have seen how the kendalli handled it! I was worried he might hurt himself :blink

like the draw set up Craig as bwah asked did you make it yourself

Invented (have you seen it elsewhere Chris?), and made.

and what thickness acrylic is it

I took advice and made it from 5mm. Seems obvious that that is too thin, but fortunately...well, I knew it would be helped by surrounding tank and wall, it had extra support. If I were to do it again, I'd do the outside frame out of 10 or even 15mm (hang the expense), but the draws are fine out of 5mm.It was pretty expensive anyway. I had the shop do all the cuts (impossible by hand), to my measurements (never have I needed to be so accurate), but I assembled and installedit all by myself. I should point out that there is a lot more detail not depicted, so come see me if you want more detail Chris, as it is too much to type up.

I will say, it is the best, most efficient filter, and the easiest to clean that I have had in a life time of fish keeping - so as self congratulatory as that may happen to be :B it is a FANTASTIC filter that it's only handicapped (appart from the fact I made it :shock: ) was by being a prototype.

getting closer to me setting up a tank or two again :blink

I hope you'll go for lights over a flash light torch this time Chris, as your lighting of choice :lol2:

Craig

Archived