shy fish

robdog013

Hi All,

I have 5 cobalts, 5 red zebs, 4 yellows and 3 bristlenose in a std 3 fter tank.

I have river sand as my substrate and 7 pieces of lava rock scattered around the tank so there are alot of hidey holes.

My problem is the fish are very shy and run for cover when anyone approaches the tank. During night time when the room is dark and the tank lights are on, the fish come out but I suspect this is only because they cannot see us.

The tank is in a main throughfare and I am pretty strapped for space in my apt so I cannot move it, I tried overstocking the tank to try to coax them out but this hasnt worked.

does anyone have any suggestions????

cheers

Rob

Hi All,

I have 5 cobalts, 5 red zebs, 4 yellows and 3 bristlenose in a std 3 fter tank.

I have river sand as my substrate and 7 pieces of lava rock scattered around the tank so there are alot of hidey holes.

My problem is the fish are very shy and run for cover when anyone approaches the tank. During night time when the room is dark and the tank lights are on, the fish come out but I suspect this is only because they cannot see us.

The tank is in a main throughfare and I am pretty strapped for space in my apt so I cannot move it, I tried overstocking the tank to try to coax them out but this hasnt worked.

does anyone have any suggestions????

cheers

Rob

I had the same issue until recently - I started feeding less. Small amounts twice a day. I've found that perhaps cos the fish are hungrier, they tend to come out when I approach the glass. Perhaps hope of getting fed?

I'm no expert, but it worked for me :) I also added some dither fish, but i noticed the difference once changing the feeding quantities.

Good luck with it,

Diz

Ok having a major in Psychology it helps me to understand fish lol :lol3:

I use a method called classic conditioning. When the light comes on food goes in tank. The little fellas know when they see me coming small amount of food goes in. I do this everytime I see them notice me . I agree with DIZ small amounts. I turn light on so they dont get scared of light, infact love it because it means food.

Try this and see how you go.

Hope they are small as a 3 fter is going to be a problem if 14 lg fish

Fullycichlid's :thumb Major makes sence lol

I'm guesssing they are fry so will get used to your busy area

I had that issue aswell

But my problem was that I had one dominated fish a lambarda

Every one was hiding so I got the craP and got him out a couple of days later everyone was out and seemed to be happy

And I also when I turn the light I Feed the

Too

I have tried feeding them everyday small amounts over the course of the day and haven't had much luck here. They come out to feed and then duck away. I will try feeding once every 3 days and see how That goes . Thanks everyone for the great tips :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

I tried not feeding them for 3days this didnt work. Its starting to annoy me

Rainbows? What do they look like? Does anyone else know of other colourful differ fish

Archived