EB dempseys

killiguy

• 3 weeks later...

Am I missing something?

25% EB

25% JD splits

25% normal JD

= 75%

What happens to the other 25% of the fry?

Anyways my 'split' pair bred recently. Yes baby!

Yes you are right

25% homozygous wild = wild phenotype(look) not carriers of the EB gene

50%heterozygous (wild gene and EB gene)all look wild

25%homozygous EB =EB phenotype

EB dempseys are not a hybrid they are a colour morph carrying the blue gene.

I havnt found them to be more agressive than normals, in fact they would probably be more on the less agressive from the ones i have had,

slower growing and can be a bit more touchy to water quality compared to the normals maybe..

Thanks for clearing that up! hey do u knw anyone that is selling EB's in Syd, I have been looking for'em for quiet some time now & actually thought that there were none in Oz. Any help would be much appreciated.

These guys are now 5 weeks old.The latest TFH magazine had an article on them and mentioned the EB fish are lighter than the normals as the first sign.This is the case in my fish and funnily enough the lights tend to hang around with the lights and vice versa

Normal

IMG_3053.jpg

EB ??

IMG_3052.jpg

There is no major size discrepancy yet

Re aggression my big male is very nonaggression he has a tiny female with him at the moment and she rules the roost.I dont think they would do well with very aggressive cichlid

Nice thread killiguy

have a look in the tangent section and down load the Amazonas mag

it has interest notes on EBJD

article states he has reduced EB fry if temp is over 25*C when raising them

seems they don't go blue at higher temps

it may help increase the EB fry production for you

Nice thread killiguy

have a look in the tangent section and down load the Amazonas mag

it has interest notes on EBJD

article states he has reduced EB fry if temp is over 25*C when raising them

seems they don't go blue at higher temps

it may help increase the EB fry production for you

Thanks for that tip,my fish room gets very hot over summer so I may wait a while before raising another batch.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive come the conclusion the above photos do not represent EB and normals (sorry about that)

There are 6 or so that are much smaller than the rest and intensely silver;6 out of 100.

Ive separated these and will photograph them when they settle in.Size seems to be the main differentiating factor

• 1 month later...

Im not sure about the morality of raising these fish.Out of the 100 or so fry only 6 are EB, the rest fed to my P.polleni

I have anothr batch growing up.

The fry are very shy and difficult to photograph but below are some,the blue seems to wash out in the photos

IMG_3149.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

Eventually I will,although I got them from John Cousins down here and will give them back to him once he has reestablished his fish room(if he wants them that is).I have no particular love of these fish but felt obligated to follow it through given all the work Cuz put in to get splits

• 2 weeks later...

Archived