Hardest fish?

shelly

discus ......... for sure if your up for a challange or clown loachs lol coz its never been done .....

this may be a stupid question, but if they're so hard to breed why are there so many of them?

They are all imported from wild caught stock.

I agree with the P. altum suggestion as it will be nice to see more around. Another angel species to consider is P. leopoldi as you hardly ever see them anymore.

If you can get your hands on the very few that are around, Vieja argentea.

Non cichlid fish: Galaxy rasbora or even garra ruffa and have your own spa parties!

Whip tails are no challenge but a great fish to keep and breed so if you want go for it there not expensive

But if you want a challenge then breed the altum lol just keep them alive is a challenge! Your water must be to there liking

Plus there not cheap so if you breed them 100+ fry at the $100 ea

But if you want cichlids breed the tan's or go cuckoo cats with some big cichlids this way you get great colours 2 different fIsh breeding in same tank well 1 if your doing a good job!

There is only afew bred at a time

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, just out of curiosity

With the pterophylum altum, whats hard about them to breed? (not saying there easy i havent breed them myself)

i work at best friends, one in victoria, in one of our fish tanks we had some assorted 8cm angels 10cm sharks a jack dempsey and some 10cm clown loaches.

At the moment only two angels are in that tank because they spawned together. One of the angels is a peterophylum altum, the other looks like a marble.

We think they breed because the tank got white spot a few weeks ago so we upped the temp high (usually bad for angels) and the spawned a few days later.

If they are so hard and expensive, i may buy the altum (we think the altum is the female) and source a male altum and try breed.

We were really suprised when the altums came into work cause there was one in the 8cm assorted and alot of them in the 3.5cm assorteds.

maybe its breeding so easy cause it could be a cross breed?

Anyway thats my rant over haha

I think you are confusing a silver "wild" form scalary angel for an altum. For starters no LFS will ever sell true altums alongside normal angels. If you paid less than $150-$100 per fish then you have a scalare. Nothing wrong with your scalare (and congrats on them breeding them cause I never had), they are just not altums that's all.

Dave welcome to the forum.

F1 is a term used in genetics and selective breeding. F1 stands for Filial 1, the first filial generation offspring resulting from breeding from the parental types. F2 is the resulting offspring from a F1 mating.

In the cichlid hobby the F1 generally used to denote the first filial offspring from wild caught parents.

or clown loachs lol coz its never been done .....

Is that true?

My 2 big fat lazy clown loaches, that I have had for over 6 years now have finally come out of their log! And are in a frenzy with each other.... LOL my OH reckons its hot :)

I have never seen anything like it with loaches of any type. Maybe, just maybe?

• 6 months later...

or clown loachs lol coz its never been done .....

Is that true?

My 2 big fat lazy clown loaches, that I have had for over 6 years now have finally come out of their log! And are in a frenzy with each other.... LOL my OH reckons its hot :)

I have never seen anything like it with loaches of any type. Maybe, just maybe?

Good luck but unless they are around the the 30cm mark they are not sexually mature

These fish are not tank breed but caught and exported

bettas for sure haha. easy-medium to get them to build the nest and pop out the eggs but the fry are a different story. extremely hard, only a percentage will make it and you can only feed them live food for the best survival rate! not to mention water quality!!! not sure if someone else posted about bettas, sorry if you already did!

Archived