Red rub peacock ? When will it turn red?

robdog013

I have two red rubin peacocks from different bloodlines. One is 10 cm and bluish in colour the other is about 8 cm and has a blue face and a yellow body. My question is when will they turn red in the body? And are they good quality??

How do I post pics from I pad?

Cheers

Rob

if you mean like the books, it probably wont..i have a few and some have a fair bit of red with some blue in face and tail, others are mostly blue.

they are hybrid fish anyway and peaople generally breed them with all sorts of aulonocara, so all sorts of colours show up

Red Rubin is the trade name given to a line bred species of Aulonacara

these original were Aulonacara stuartgranti sp. Chipoka or Chipoka Orange

they were line bred for a more intense colour but were never "red" as such

they are not a hybrid :no:

good to know they are not a hybrid fish, i was always led to believe they were the result of eureka red jacofriebergi and hansbaenschi.

the tangerine/dragon blood are hybrid though, arent they?

Hi Robdog

They get better with age, if they are kept in good condition. They seem to get a deeper red after a couple of years and the patterns in the tail really show through.

The male in the pics below was around the max size and was the dominant fish in my tank.

Regards, Rob

046.JPG

c4a5449a.jpg

And yellow one

ace72140.jpg

Will any of these guys turn red?? The blue one above is about 12cm and the yellow one around 8 cm, will they grow into red?

Has anyone had any juvi red rubins that look similar to mine in the post above that grew into stunners with a more red coloration? Am I wasting my time with these two males? Any seen some good ones for sale?

Hi Rob,

Here are some pictures of my red rubins which I used to have and bred.

They were between 8-10 cm at that time.

Dominant and sub dominant males

img0658t.jpg

Dominant male showing off to female:

img0659qg.jpg

They'll turn into an orange rusty color with the time and age... when young they'll be fully yellow with a full blue face, light blue dorsal fins and tail, the yellow will eventually turn into dark orangish color... you just need to be patient and provide the appropriate food and water condition....

Hope this helps mate.

Archived