Metal Halide Stand

fishly

Hi Guys,

I just bought a metal halide light, but I don't know how to install it. It is normally installed on the ceiling, but I don't want to make a hole on the ceiling. Or it could be installed on a high hood, but my hood is too low sadsmiley02.gif .

So my question is do you have any great ideas on how to make a nice looking stand for it as the tank is sitting on my living room?

By the way, here is the picture of the MH.

user posted image

user posted image

Thanks,

Tony

i would be worried about puting a halide under a hood as they produce ALOT of heat. i reckon they look really good hung from the ceiling with stainless steel cable.

hth

Harry

I've seen someone getting one of those standing floor lamps and attached the MH shoplight to it. The floor lamp can then be place behind the tank.

Alternatively make a woodden lightbox for it and sit it on top of your tank. Make sure there's a sufficient gap as it will crack the centre brace on your tank if there's not enough distance between the lamp and glass.

I just bought a taller hood with no lid to accommodate the MH as u can see in the pic.

tank

mbuna is right, that kind of fitting is normally hung from the ceiling.

Whatever you choose to do, keep it 6-8 inches from the top of your centre brace, and if you buy or build a hood be prepared to cool your tank in summer wink.gif

I have a 250W metal halide which I planned to put over my square display tank but have never bothered due to these risks/hassles.

Good luck with it, let us know how you go smile.gif

Build a light box to house the NMH light, so that you suspend the whole light box from the roof - the box is only needed to conceal the light itself, balast and wiring from view - so you can leave the top open for the heat to escape. Build it light with 3 or 5 ply and paint it with whatever colour you want.

The other thing you can do is make a Light Stand for it... the stand will have to elevate the NMH light above the tank as mentioned before ~8 inches.

What I mean by stand is that it only attaches to the tank sides so the font and back are open for you to work.

Hey Tony and others,

A rather crappy graphic of what i am planning to build:

user posted image

2 brackets at the back will be attached to my stand, and the wooden frame of the canopy will be either bolted or screwed in with a small block of wood behind the bracket. The front of the canopy will have a wire cable attached, and again screwed or bolted to the upper part of the metal bracket.

The brackets will be those used to attach cheapo shelves to the wall, the canopy will be open at the top and will not use fans.

Cheers all

troy

Hi Fishly,

I built my canopy on the weekend and finished painting it last night. The lights I have are the same as yours, and I found the best way to mount them is to swivel the light so that you have clear access to the hole on the side, and then push a 2 inch, 1/4" diameter hex bolt out each side. I then bolted this to strips of 42x19mm dressed pine running front to back in the canopy, and swung the lights back to normal position.

I can take a pic tonight if you like.

Hi Tony,

Probably spent 20 bucks on timber for the canopy, plus a couple for 4 bolts. I already had the screws and black paint thogh, which was probably the most expensive item. All up probably $100 for the cabinet and the canopy combined.

Will endeavour to take some pics tonight when I attach the hood to the cabinet. I didnt end up attaching the wiring as the hood is quite light and I thing a couple of screws will be sufficient.

Cheers

Ok Tony, the pics are here....

1. The cabinet, built of pine with MDF sheets:

user posted image

2. Cabinet with canopy attached. Canopy is made of 140x19mm dressed pine, and attached with metal shelving brackets.

user posted image

3. Inside the canopy, lights attached to strips of 42x19mm pine:

user posted image

4. Close up of MH light attachment using 2 inch, 1/4" hex bolts:

user posted image

5. Because I'm impatient...artist's inpression:

user posted image

Cheers and I hope this helps a little. rolleyes.gif

Archived