NSWCS - 2024 Annual General Meeting & MEGA Fish Raffle

DATE

Saturday 3rd of August 2024

TIME

7.30pm Start
Doors open to members and guests at 6.30pm
Please note there will not be a mini auction.

WHERE

Nuwarra Public School, Mckay Ave, Moorebank NSW

ENTRY

Financial Members: Free Entry
Non-Members / Guests: $2 per visitor over the age of 18 (non-members)

WHAT’S ON THIS MONTH?

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING (AGM)

The club has it's Annual General Meeting in August. The current committee will stand down and nominations are to be made for the new committee! Financial members are able to vote, nominate and be nominated! If you want to get involved and be a part of the NSWCS committee - now is the time.

We are looking for some fresh faces to join the committee for the coming year. If you would like to lend a hand and be a part of the organisation side of things for our meetings, why not join the committee???

MEGA FISH RAFFLE

Our MEGA Fish Raffle is back again! There will be plenty of bags of fish in this raffle, so come along and try to win your ultimate bag of fish! We will post a list of fish we are expecting to have in the raffle a few days before the meeting on this page of our website and the NSWCS Facebook page so make sure you follow the page. Please note that the list is subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances beyond our control.

The MEGA Fish Raffle works like a normal raffle - tickets need to be bought. If your number is called, you are able to take one bag of fish of your choice. Each number that gets called = one bag of fish. The number of fish will vary per bag.

Raffle tickets will be available to be purchased on the night!
1 strip of 6 tickets – $5
11 strips of 6 tickets – $50
24 strips of 6 tickets – $100

FISH RAFFLE SPECIES LIST

This is a provisional list of the species of fish that will be in the raffle to be won on the night. Please note this list is subject to change. The size of the fish and the number fish per bag differs between species.

LINK TO LIST OF SPECIES

MINI AUCTION

Please note there will not be a mini auction.

OCTOBER MAJOR AUCTION LOTS

Financial members will be able to collect their first 8 lots for the October Major Auction. You must be present on the night to collect them. See the team at the trade table to collect them.

MEMBERS GIVEAWAY

Lucky door prize for MEMBERS in attendance only on the night

TRADE TABLE & SUPPER TABLE

The Trade Table will be open for all your fish needs. Food, bags and many other items available for sale! Ray will be able to help you out!
Karen will be at the supper table with plenty of food and drinks to be purchased on the day!

MEMBERSHIP STATUS

• All members that have not recently joined or recently renewed their membership will need to renew their membership at the August AGM to continue to receive club member benefits. 
  • You must be a financial member to be eligible for the members giveaway, to vote in the AGM, to receive the first set of October Major Auction lots, etc.
  • See the membership team on the night at the door to renew or confirm your membership status.

ARTICLES ????

Do you have any articles that our Editor could use for our Magazine? This is your chance to share what you have! Club money up for grabs! Speak to our Editor at our meetings for more information!

GENERAL MEETING INFORMATION

Meetings are held on the 1st Saturday of each month, except in January.
NO MEETING HELD IN JANUARY

Major Auctions are held on 1st Saturday of March & October

Christmas Meeting is held on 1st Saturday of December

NEXT MEETING: SATURDAY 7 September 2024

i hope they put more then 4 fish to a bag 

in all the yrs the club has done this when there 4 in the bag 

all i got was all male (and thats 6 yrs now only 1 time i got a pair)

u need 6 or more to get a pair sorry but thats how it is 

Paul once again whinging and complaining from behind his keyborad. Have the guts to bring up your complaints in person at the meetings!!! Better  still put up your hand to help organise in anyway. There are only 4 people out of the  whole club doing all the organising for this  mega raffle event. Yes there are bags of 4  x fish again ...one of these bags has a wholesale value of $300 . As it has been such a disappointment for you in the past ( and only you have complained  yet again ) I  hope you  will not be attending so as to not suffer  again.... you will not be missed !! Kevin 

well i been tell them for yrs (7) now but u know who will not listen to any one (he know best)  

i did that back in the day remember i tried for 4 yrs but it was like hitting my head on the wall 

but i am talking about the lots that are not much u can put more fish in them it is for the club right 

and how many lot are $300 not many  but there are a lot of them that are not they are the one i talking about

and people have complained but no one wants to hear it i can only hope that some day they do hear it 

Edited by yanke

Thanks for the feedback, @yanke.

In the five years I have had fish and attended the club, I have never heard anyone else complain about same sex fish, nor had anyone suggest that there should be more than 4 fish per bags during general business, or in general conversation with any other members/committee. 

My view is that it is more beneficial to offer our members 70 chances at winning a bag of 4 fish to hopefully establish a breeding pair than it is to offer them 45 chances at winning a bag of 6 fish. It increases the number of different members that can win, as well as the number of species that will be up for grabs, which will hopefully lead to the more members getting in on the fun as well more species being spread throughout the membership to hopefully be bred, preserved and circulated. If you don't agree with this approach, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter during general business so that we can hear what the membership thinks about it.

If your personal preference is to start with more than 4 fish when trying establish a breeding pair or colony, then I'd recommend going to an aquarium store and purchasing your desired quantity of fish for retail price in lieu of buying tickets at this raffle.

Personally, when I first got into fish and joined the club, I was over the moon about the chance of getting a bag of 4 fish in a raffle. The experience for myself and my many family members with every bag of fish we have won as part of this AGM Mega Fish raffle event has always been to get at least one breeding pair of fish, with the majority being two pairs.

After so many years of being a member, I once again encourage you to make a positive contribution to the club by putting your hand up to join the committee. I did nominate you to join the committee last year so that you could help shape the future of the club, but alas you declined. Perhaps you will reconsider this year?

ok i have been on the committee but it did no good all i got was it my way or the high way so i stop

the club is good and they do good stuff also

its only some things that are not 

it for the club they have all that money sitting there do something with it give back to the club 

when they have lots that are only about $30 -$50 way can't they put in 2 more fish how is that going to hurt the club

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been out of the hobby for over a decade but have there been any cyathopharynx go through the auctions recently. Considering jumping back in but only for the right fish. 

There are only Furcifer around these days, if anyone has foai they are keeping them secret.

I haven’t seen furcifer in the auctions recently but i do have a female with a mouthful. Allfish has em at the moment 6-8cm for $65.

I didn't do the sourcing this year but for previous years I felt I sourced the best range and qty of fish with the budget I had

and what was available and that was having more than 4 of the cheaper species in the lots

sorry if you were disappointed @yanke with the past efforts but I've seen some pretty happy people walk away with their winning lots 

I thought we had improved from the night when a few of us used auction fish we brought in to cover the lack of raffle fish to what is now 

but I guess having over $3,000 wholesale worth of fish made available still isn't good enough

if you want to pay to increase the winning lot sizes just ask and you can contact the supplier for extras

OK let's start with sourcing the fish

out of the entire club we had I think 8 people offer fish 

so that leaves us to source from interstate and through local sponsors

if not for Kevin and Adam's work plus our sponsors Chris from Allfish2U and Vicky

at Micro Aquatic there would be NO RAFFLE

we have a budget

yes there is a limit to what we spend and usually we don't cover it but spend over budget

this time we covered it and made a small profit due to Chris's generous pricing

If you think it is easy, then you're welcome to try organizing local sources, picking up fish and housing fish from interstate